Sunday 6 March 2011

Third Time Lucky Snowy

Last winter I made two trips northeast of the city, which is supposedly the place to look for Snowy Owls around Calgary.  I saw lots of neat birds but, despite covering a lot of distance on backroads, no luck.  This time I headed straight for Strathmore, with a plan to work my way back from there on the range roads - no need for that!  This beautiful white male was on a hydro pole on the service road south of the Trans-Canada, just east of the town.

Snowy Owl, Bubo scandiacus
Despite being privileged to have handled half a dozen of these birds in rehab settings this guy is my first in the wild - life bird #158, Alberta bird #89.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David
    Nice shot and beautiful pitcher.........

    http://wwwmysrilanka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete