Monday 18 April 2011

Raptor Commute

Another sunny day meant another pleasantly meandering bike commute.  I headed for Confederation Park where I soon heard a harsh "jaaay, jaaay" from the bushes that took my mind back to Ontario.  Sure enough there was a Blue Jay, noisily foraging in the bushes.

Further down I met an experienced birder - really nice binoculars are a good sign of someone who might be able to teach me something!  He kindly put me on to an accipiter which he identified as a probable Cooper's Hawk.  I had some good views and snapped a few shots but, as I re-examine the photos, the size (11-13" based on the branch diameter) and the squareness of the tail have me thinking Sharp-shinned Hawk.  Comments would be appreciated as Cooper's would be a lifer for me so I am particularly wary on rushing to judgment.

Unidentified Accipiter, top image is 1/4 frame crop of 170mm image, bottom image is further crop from same, Click to Enlarge
Further along I found a Northern Flicker, looking very unconcerned about traffic, cyclists, or accipiters...
Northern Flicker, Colaptes auratus

...as well as this muskrat feeding in the creek.
Muskrat, Ondatra zibethicus
After picking the kids up I was heading up the 10th St. hill when I spotted a Merlin engaged in what I can only describe as a dogfight with an American Crow.  I watched these aerobatics for a moment, until they disappeared from view over the crest of the hill.  Rounding the corner at the top of hill and somewhat out of breath from the climb, I was pleasantly surprised to find a merlin, presumably the same bird, sitting in the top of a spruce tree.  A beautiful falcon and this one nicely showing off the paler brown of the prairie subspecies. 
Merlin, Falco columbarius (richardsonii)
 Not bad for an hour of cycle commuting!

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing what you can see in even a short commute if you walk or bike.
    I agree that the accipitor is probably a Sharp-shinned Hawk. The tail looks very square and has a narrow white border.But these are tough to call! See
    http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

    ReplyDelete